Monday 15 August 2011

Year 5 & 6 pupils from Hay Park School gave us and insight into how the workshops are going...

Q: What have you learnt during the workshops with Ann?
•    “I’ve learnt how to adjust my legs in the air”
•    “I learned how to walk like a robot and melt like a jelly.”
•    “I’ve learnt how to do big movements and how to melt slowly using my body.”
•    “I have learnt how to dance with the rhythm.  I am starting to do nice big movements.”
•    “I have learnt how to leap then balance.”
•    “I have learnt to count the beats and dance at the beat too.”

Q: What did you find surprising in the workshops with Ann?
•    “I never knew that ballet can relax my muscles”
•    “We could do big leaps and land softly.”
•    “That I held my balance longer than I’ve ever held it before.”
•    “Follow the beat together.”
•    “That I like dancing.”

Q: What do you expect will happen when the rehearsals with Royston and Ann start?
•    “I expect challenging movements.”
•    “We all have to get along and be kind to each other.”
•    “I will expect quietness.”
•    “To get along with other schools and dance with them.”
•    “Respect each other when they’re talking. Have a try.”
•    “The rehearsals with Royston and Ann will get more tiring and long but we made a commitment.  It is going to be a little bit boring, but when we get used to it it’s going to be fun.”

Q: What are you looking forward to about the performance at the Aotea Centre?
•    “I’m looking forward to seeing an orchestra.  I’m also looking forward to a big crowd and a lot of dancing.”
•    “A big, massive audience. An orchestra to play the music. Other people, schools, managers, backstage people.”
•    “I’m looking forward to the massive audience and especially the inspiring orchestra.”

Q: What did you learn during the music workshop with Lee, Nick and Fraser?
•    “I learnt how to play new instruments like an African drum, a culumbar, and a shaker.  As I looked around I saw different instruments, I even saw homemade instruments.  The music I heard was not modern music it was like classical music with a touch of old-school music.”
•    “We learnt to create our own beat with the drums.  Went in time with the trumpet.  Drums had different sounds and different animal fur on it.  We got to play instruments we have never played with before.”
•    “That you can use anything to create music.  I learnt that there were all sorts of music for each season of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment